Smiling Pasta

See the source image

SPOILERS AHEAD
Those familiar with Taiwanese dramas would definitely know this classic. If so, you might be wondering why I am posting this 14 years after its broadcast. The reason being I just listened to one of the most iconic Taiwanese drama OSTs again. "Tears From Polaris" is definitely a T-drama OST classic and one of the main reasons for my love of Smiling Pasta. I decided to rewatch the drama again and I just thought such a classic deserves its own post. I do not think this is the best drama ever; it definitely has its flaws. Despite all that, this is a very nostalgic drama that I would rewatch any day.

Year: 2006
Episodes: 27
Synopsis:
Chen Xiao Shi (Cyndi Wang), the daughter of the owners of Smiling Pasta (pasta restaurant), is believed to be cursed. All 17 of her relationships have never lasted more than three months. After being dumped by her 17th boyfriend, she collides into superstar He Qun (Nicholas Teo) and they accidentally kiss on the street. This moment is captured by the paparazzi and He Qun is forced to run away with Xiao Shi to dodge the paparazzi. The paparazzi headline the kiss as "He Qun cheating on his girlfriend, Rita (Joyce Zhao)", who in reality is only his childhood best friend and crush. In order to salvage the situation, He Qun's management lies saying Xiao Shi is He Qun's fiance. Xiao Shi agrees to the fake relationship in order to not worry her parents about yet another breakup. Thus, the birth of a love contract. As they pretend to be a couple, they become each other's best support. Will they fall in love or will the media find out the truth? Watch to find out.

Review:
This is a true Taiwanese classic. Lots of Taiwanese dramas are idol dramas; they literally star idols. This drama stars some of the most popular idols of the time and idols they want to promote; like Nicholas Teo, Cyndi Wang, Gino of K One, and 7 Flowers' Joyce Zhao. Most of the songs in this drama are by the cast, which for me is a plus. "Tears From Polaris" and "Little Turtle" are just two of the many by Nicholas Teo. The opening theme, "Rainbow's Smile," is by Cyndi Wang. 

I loved the second couple, or Rita and Ah Zhe. The relationship between this second couple and the main couple is very complicated. Long story short: Ah Zhe and He Qun are brothers, Rita likes Ah Zhe, He Qun likes Rita, Xiao Shi likes Ah Zhe, and Xiao Shi and He Qun are "engaged." As I said, very complicated. Rita and Ah Zhe are both mature and strong, except in front of love. Both are badass, especially Rita. Once, someone tried to slap her butt and she quickly turned around and beat the hell out of him. Definitely, a power couple and the growth of their relationship is fun to watch. Even their little competitions and arguments are cute.

I also love Vincent, He Qun's manager. I feel like I always fall for the servants, assistants, or managers of the leads. Anyone else? Vincent is an amazing manager who truly cares for He Qun. He is very adaptable and quick on his feet and can handle anyone and any rumor that dares to threaten He Qun. He is quite funny and is always helping He Qun impress Xiao Shi.

This drama is just very nostalgic. It is very cringy which I have a love-hate relationship with. Xiao Shi has a super cringy family. They are literal cheerleaders for her at school events and at home. There are too many cringy scenes. Whenever He Qun has to save the falling Xiao Shi, they end up in a super extra and unnecessary pose. Whenever I see those scenes coming up, I quickly reach for my fast forward button. However, sometimes, I do not mind them. I love the cringy lines and overused plot. Some things are just unbelievably cringy yet so romantic and cute at the same time.

Definitely, the songs add a lot to the drama. I know I mentioned this way too many times already but my favorite is "Tears From Polaris" by Nicholas Teo.











Comments