Song Recommendation: The Ordinary Road


The Ordinary Road by Pu Shu
平凡之路 by 朴树

Credits to BELLA PING

Year: 2014

I first heard this song on Singer 2017 performed by LIONS feat. La La Hsu and Vanness Wu. I love the vocalist, Xiao Jing Teng, of the band and though parts of their performance were a bit extra, I loved their cover. Then months later I heard this song again at a milk tea shop. After that, I have been listening to this song non-stop. My Chinese is not that great so I might be misinterpreting the lyrics and meaning of the song, but I think this song is trying to talk about living the ordinary life. I think that in the 21st century, we are constantly striving for perfection, status, and luxury, so much that we begin to feel tired and unhappy. Often by having less, we are happier. We will stop forcing ourselves to succeed; rather, we learn to be more appreciative of what we have and those around us. I can definitely relate to this song. When I stop pressuring myself to succeed, I feel happier and less tired. I hope through this song, we can all learn that maybe living an ordinary, simple life might not be so bad.

WARNING: I am by no means a musician so this is purely personal opinion.
This song is very soothing to listen to. It does not have any fancy singing techniques but I think it makes it ever the more soothing. The singer's voice is very comforting to listen to. The middle has a mini-chant in which I believe is not Mandarin but a dialect (please correct me if I am wrong). The instrumentals are very comforting and rhythmic.

Here is my attempt to translate the lyrics to this song. I got the lyrics from Baidu. If you can translate these lyrics better, please leave a comment below.

Lyrics:
平凡之路 The Ordinary Road
徘徊著的在路上的 Those wandering, those on the road
你要走嗎 via via Do you have to go? via via
易碎的驕傲著 Those who are fragile, those who are prideful
那也曾是我的模樣 That was how I once was
沸騰著的不安著的 Those who are uneasy and unsettling
你要去哪 Where do you want to go?
謎一樣的沉默著的 Those who are like a riddle, those who are quiet
故事你真的在聽嗎 Are you really listening to the story?
chorus 1 start
我曾經跨過山和大海 I once toiled through mountains and seas
也穿過人山人海 also pass through seas of people
我曾經擁有著的一切 I once owned everything
轉眼都飄散如煙 In a blink of an eye now drift away like smoke
我曾經失落失望失掉所有方向 I was once lost, disappointed, and lost all direction
直到看見平凡才是唯一的答案 until I saw ordinary, the only answer
chorus 1 end
當你仍然還在幻想 While you are still imagining
你的明天 your future
她會好嗎還是更爛 will it be better or worse
對我而言是另一天 For me, it is another day
chorus 2 starts
我曾經毀了我的一切 I once destroyed my everything
只想永遠的離開 only wanting to leave forever
我曾經墮入無邊黑暗 I once fell into boundless darkness
想掙扎無法自拔 wanting to struggle but couldn't free myself
我曾經像你像他像那野草野花 I was once like you, like him, like the wild grass, wild flowers
絕望著渴望著哭著笑著平凡著 despaired, aspired, cried, smiled, ordinary
chorus 2 ends
chant starts
向前走就這麼走 Walking forward, walking just like this
就算你被給過什麼 even if you were given something
向前走就這麼走 Walking forward, walking just like this
就算你被奪走什麼 even if you have had something taken away from you
向前走就這麼走 Walking forward, walking just like this
就算會錯過什麼 even though if you may miss something
向前走就這麼走 Walking forward, walking just like this
就算會... even if...
chant stops
[chorus 1,chorus 2]
我曾经失落失望失掉所有方向 I was once lost, disappointed, and lost all direction
直到看见平凡才是唯一的答案 until I saw ordinary, the only answer
[chorus 2]
冥冥中這是我唯一要走的路啊 This is the only road I need to take
時間無言如此這般 As time passes by, just like that
明天已在 hia hia Tomorrow is here hia hia
風吹過的 路依然遠 The wind blew over it, the road still long and far
你的故事講到了哪 Which chapter of your story are you at?

Comments